Thursday 5 March 2015

How to be a good administrative secretary?



3 principles to be an excellent executive secretary
You do not became an executive or a administrative secretary because you have good typing or a good smile, there is steps to go through, but believe me every one could reach that goal and learn how to be a great one. After taking a good secretary course you will learn the basic.
But to be sure of gaining recognition as a secretary and reach the goal of executive secretary you will need to develop certain qualities, in here you will find them, I am sure you will be a great secretary one day!

Keep everything confidential

The confidentiality is the main quality of a good executive or administrative secretary. Without this trust between the boss and the employee the confidence is not there anymore. During her years of experience working as a secretary the employee will develop and learn to keep things confidential.
The perfect one because there is, will be able to work and do her job without breaking this point of confidentiality. Believe me there is so many ways you can do that. By talking outside the job about the job it or what is happening. Talking about your boss or his decision or where he goes and its purpose of the trip. Hearing a conversation about something confidential and making your own comments. I can go on and on with the subject but that is not the point. If you cannot hold yourself from gossiping or being too curious being a secretary is not your place at all.
I have been a executive secretary in my young years and believe me I heard many things and saw things that I would never be able to reveal here. I was to be trusty by my boss and because of that I have receive great recognition in my work.
Keep that in mind if you are not able to keep things confidential, change job it is not for you.

Always be honest

Honesty along with confidentiality is two great qualities you have to gain to be the perfect secretary.
In over 30 years of work in many companies I have seen that problem, honesty. Is it really a problem? How come people cannot hold themselves when they see an attractive object or a little cashier?
You have to hold yourself, taking even a pin clip for your own purpose without telling it is stealing, you are not honest with yourself and I am also talking about taking the time of your boss company by chatting or playing on computer instead of working.
There is so many ways to be honest here some examples:
The time to chat or play on computer has to be done on your free time, lunch time or at home.
Any object belonging to the company has to stay at the company unless you have asked the permission for it.
The cashier and the money inside it, does not belong to you no matter what excuse you have or even if you want to reimburse it.
The time you work or specify to work has to be fulfilled to his limit unless you ask permission to quit a little earlier that day.
There is reward to be honest, you will gain more recognition for your work, you will get raise easier and you will also get great references to reach your goal as a good executive secretary.

Knowledge, keep on it is a great source of wisdom.

Keep getting knowledge and be interest in new skills. The first time I was hire in a company I was not even able to talk English or write it can you imagine? Now 30 years later I keep challenging myself every day to learn something new.
Anything new coming in the company to improve the quality of the work, like telex, cardex, computer or any other informatics systems, I always make sure to learn it before the person in title of using the systems will learn it. I kept my eyes open and I was teachable.
It is so amazing to learn, it seems there is no end from learning the science is going faster than us from learning. If you are able to be teachable in your job as a secretary you will again go further and you will reach the goal of being an executive secretary. ‘’Never say no’’ it was my leitmotiv along with that other one ‘’you can do it’’
Yes you can learn at any age, I myself will return to university and study in psychology to help me as a secretary in Human Resources and also to deal with my boss, there is so many ways to learn now in year 2009 and more. Give yourself this chance believe me it is great to stay young and to exercise your brain and to be top shape along with the youth in the new computer world.
I will never stop learning from every one young and old from any place in our society or in this world. Learning is such a great way to keep our self alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment